Dear Scarab Workers

Does anyone know the first validly described dung beetle (Scarabaeidae: Scarabaeinae) species for the World and secondarily for the Afrotropical Region? Common sense would suggest that it would be a one of the larger bodied species but this may not necessarily be the case. Please share your insights with me if you have looked into this, or have any species / genera which come to mind as being good candidates for further investigation. My own search has started within genera like Scarabaeus and Heliocopris but I am sure that there are many others which should also be looked at.

Many thanks indeed!
James

James Harrison (Zoological Curator & Lecturer) Ph.D.
Wits Life Sciences Museum (WLSM)
School of Animal, Plant and Environmental Sciences (AP&ES)
University of the Witwatersrand, Private Bag 3, WITS 2050, South Africa
Tel +27(0)11-717-6464     Fax +27(0)11-717-6494

[e-banner_newcrest]