From: Scarab Beetle Taxonomy Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of James Harrison
Sent: 07 March 2017 15:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: First described dung beetle species for the World and Afrotropical Region?

Dear Scarab Workers

Does anyone know the first validly described dung beetle (Scarabaeidae: Scarabaeinae) species for the World and secondarily for the Afrotropical Region? Common sense would suggest that it would be a one of the larger bodied species but this may not necessarily be the case. Please share your insights with me if you have looked into this, or have any species / genera which come to mind as being good candidates for further investigation. My own search has started within genera like Scarabaeus and Heliocopris but I am sure that there are many others which should also be looked at.

Many thanks indeed!
James

James Harrison (Zoological Curator & Lecturer) Ph.D.
Wits Life Sciences Museum (WLSM)
School of Animal, Plant and Environmental Sciences (AP&ES)
University of the Witwatersrand, Private Bag 3, WITS 2050, South Africa
Tel +27(0)11-717-6464     Fax +27(0)11-717-6494

[e-banner_newcrest]

This communication is intended for the addressee only. It is confidential. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the original message. You may not copy or disseminate this communication without the permission of the University. Only authorised signatories are competent to enter into agreements on behalf of the University and recipients are thus advised that the content of this message may not be legally binding on the University and may contain the personal views and opinions of the author, which are not necessarily the views and opinions of The University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. All agreements between the University and outsiders are subject to South African Law unless the University agrees in writing to the contrary.