Maybe it is to disambiguate from ethanol made from scratch. Putting all those C’s and H’s and O’s together….

-N

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> on behalf of "Michael A. Ivie" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Friday, March 10, 2017 at 9:28 AM
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: Bioethanol

Bioethanol? Isn't that rum?  All ethanol is bioethanol, this is just a marketing ploy, like gluten-free corn chips.

Mike

On 3/10/2017 12:19 PM, Andrew Brower wrote:
I imagine it is called bioethanol because was distilled from corn or switchgrass or some other biological source (like when you go to the gas station and get biodiesel).  The important thing is the purity, as people have noted.

AB

Professor Andrew V. Z. Brower
Evolution and Ecology Group
Dept. of Biology, Box 60