I would caution against using taxonomic info in image names. Taxonomic
information changes, which may force you to rename or edit image names
in the future. Much easier to dot that in a database. Hence, I agree
with Chris. A file name that is a numeric or alpha-numeric  identifier
that corresponds to a specimen and/or image record in a database and
storing all pertinent info about the image or specimen in the database
allows for easy searching and no need to ever edit image names.

Gil

On 3/20/2017 11:01 AM, Christine Johnson wrote:

> I have found that if you are trying to add images to a database where
> there is a database record for that specimen, the best file name to
> use is the USI (Unique specimen identifier) to that record. Otherwise
> bulk attaching images to correct records is difficult. But I guess
> this is only a good naming convention if that is where you intend to
> access your images (in a database with its database record).
>
> Chris
>
> Chris Andrea Johnson, Ph.D.
> <http://www.amnh.org/our-research/staff-directory/christine-johnson>
>
> Curatorial Associate
>
> American Museum of Natural History
> <http://www.amnh.org/our-research/invertebrate-zoology>
>
> Division of Invertebrate Zoology
>
> Central Park West at 79^th Street
>
> New York, NY 10024
>
> (212) 769-5605

> /Collection Forum <http://www.spnhc.org/20/collection-forum>/
>
> /Entomologica Americana <http://www.bioone.org/loi/nynt.1>/
>
> /Journal of Negative Results - EEB <http://jnr-eeb.org/index.php/jnr>/

Gil Nelson, PhD
Research Faculty
iDigBio Steering Committee
Integrated Digitized Biocollections
Institute for Digital Information and Scientific Communication
College of Communication and Information

Courtesy Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
Robert K. Godfrey Herbarium
Florida State University