Hi, all. We just had - for the first time ever - an outgoing loan
returned to us by the US postal service (AFTER charging $56 in postage),
with a sticker indicating that attaching a Customs Declaration is no
longer sufficient, but that they now require Customs Declarations to be
submitted *online*.

This raises a few questions:

(1) has anyone else had this happen?
(2) if so, were you able to figure out the correct protocol and
succesfully ship thereafter?

 From what I can see online, the international shipping option that uses
the online Customs Declaration is part of an integrated process that
looks like it can only be performed, and paid for, as an individual,
rather than done via an institutional account. Our institution normally
covers all shipping expenses and we do the paperwork; our shipping &
receiving office is certainly not equipped to file online documents FOR
us, and we have no money in our museum's budget to pay for loan
shipments. It has always been that we labeled the package, attached the
Customs forms, passed the package to shipping & receiving, and then the
University paid the postage - but apparently that is no longer possible.

If anyone has insights into the proper workaround for this, I think a
great many of us would benefit from knowing what to do. Otherwise this
promises to greatly interfere with our ability to make loans.

TIA,