I worked out a naming convention that suits me but I'd love to be able to shorten the name files while still capturing the information.  Storing the files is basically like a file cabinet.

Naming convention

Starts with the Host for everything but the insects/arthropods or insect if it is an insect or arthropod

Host-pest-location-date (Year-MO-Da)-my initials or photographer-original number given by the camera.

Insect_Name-location-date-sjc-DSCN1011

Moth_Silverspotted-Douglasfir-2017-03-10-sjc-P0111.

Filing -

Insects

    Lepidoptera

        Silver_spotted Tiger

Plants

    Conifers

        Douglas fir

        Pine

        Yew

        etc

    Broadleaf

    Bulbs

    Groundcovers (includes grass)

        Turf

I'm sure there are wonderful new ways to do this so I'm looking forward to how others name photos and file them.

Chirps!!

Sharon J. Collman

Horticulture and IPM Educator

WSU Snohomish County Extension