I have a large number of old fire ant collections mostly from the 1980s, but some go back to the 1950s.  I am trying to determine the likely quality of the DNA in these samples.

Does anyone have a paper or two they could recommend which reports on the quality of DNA in old alcohol samples?  Specifically I am interested in 1) the type of alcohol, 2) the percentage of alcohol, 3) the age of the specimens, and 4) other factors that might be important.  Also, I would like to know about samples that have dried out.

My guess is that DNA quality will be very bad, but I would like to see some data on the subject before I decide how much effort to put into conserving the collections.

Thanks,

Sanford

Sanford D. Porter, PhD
Research Entomologist

USDA-ARS, CMAVE
1600 SW 23rd Drive
Gainesville, FL 32608  USA

Office:          352 374-5914
Cell Phone:      352 246-8336
Unit Office:     352 374-5903
FAX:             352 374-5818
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Personal Webpage and PDF Publications:
   http://www.ars.usda.gov/saa/cmave/ifahi/sdporter
Unit Publications:

www.ars.usda.gov/saa/cmave/ifahi/publications

For information about "FORMIS: a master bibliography of ant
literature" (~50,000 citations) go to:
   http://www.ars.usda.gov/saa/cmave/ifahi/formis