Hi Everyone.

This is Adrian Thysse, the photographer Felix referred to at the beginning
of this thread. Thanks very much for all the detailed responses. The blog
post was aimed at amateur macro photographers who do not collect specimens
but who have only the images. Sometimes images are submitted to
entomologists, or requested by entomologists, so I thought it would be
helpful if we had a system to provide additional, embedded information. As
well, I think the possibility exists that some museums will be interested
in receiving images as donations if they are of good quality and
well-documented. I will be looking closely at all the examples and
suggestions provided and possibly write a follow-up article that reflects
the changes I will make when I begin labelling the images captured in the
season ahead.

Thanks again,
Adrian

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 8:33 PM, Neil Stanley Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> The request was for feedback regarding “image file labelling and metadata
> use” prompts two issues, the file name used for the image and labels on
> the images. For images that are linked to a database record I encourage
> people to start the file name of the image with the DwC term catalogNumber
> <https://terms.tdwg.org/wiki/dwc:catalogNumber>, some people refer to it
> as the barcode, especially when the catalogNumber is embedded in an actual
> barcode.  Whether it is a specimen label with a 2D matrix barcode, and
> alphanumeric or both, this catalogNumber label should always be with the
> specimen.  I think this same catalogNumber should also put on the image.
> So, even if someone changed the file name, there is a good chance anyone
> that ended up with this image could trace it back to the owner. Even if you
> do decide to put a scientific name on the image (I would not recommend) you
> can find the current status of information regarding the specimen that was
> imaged (unless someone crops it out).  Below is a example of a good image
> and appropriate labelling.  It has a neutral gray background, a scale bar
> next the specimen and the file name (minus the extension) off in the lower
> corner.  Following the catalogNumber is an underscore that is followed by
> information regarding the image.  If someone takes 1,000s of images and
> each image file name starts with catalogNumber then we can do a batch
> upload into a database and create skeletal records that can be filled in
> later.  If your catalogNumber is unique enough (i.e. a nice alphanumeric
> that minimally include institution code) then it also satisfies Chris’s USI
> (Unique specimen identifier) criteria.
>

> Although TDWG suggests that the catalogNumber be unique, unfortunately one
> of the examples they provide is a simple number.  I strongly encourage
> people to embed the institution and or collection code in the catalogNumber
> .  Ideally that institution code is that same one that is registered
> http://grbio.org/ .  Even if collections use their collection code or
> collections have different institutional codes (legacy and current) or
> collections within the same institution use different institution codes,
> you can probably trace the image back to the specimen owner.  GBIF and
> iDigBio typically do not serve private collection data but they can still
> register at http://grbio.org/ .
>
> For images that do not reference a specimen, Sharon’s naming convention
> would be unique enough, but is there a photographer repository so that
> somebody could trace “Moth_Silverspotted-Douglasfir-2017-03-10-sjc-P0111”
> back to Sharon Collman?  Cleary that naming convention works for her own
> tracking, I am only thinking about that same image being copied and
> transferred several times and ends up on someone’s computer and they want
> to know where it originated from.
>
> The coverage about metadata by Adrian was great, for example there are
> [...]

Adrian Thysse

Splendour Awaits <http://bugs.adrianthysse.com/>
Macro Workshops <http://bugs.adrianthysse.com/workshops/>
B&H Photography Equipment <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=19277&KBID=11187>

"Splendor awaits in minute proportions."

E.O. Wilson