Greetings Vels. Congratulations on your very well deserved win.  I was blown away by your chair. I understand you meant to encourage people to try, to not underestimate what they might be capable of. "There were a lot of entries that seemed to retread the same common themes." This is the sentence that set my teeth on edge. I understand that you are saying that anyone can do a wonderful, complex "thing" with work and practice. The problem is, a perfect loaf of bread, a perfect piece of naalbinding, a perfectly spun thread . . . these are the things of everyday life. They may not be as impressive was your amazing chair but they take as much practice and skill to achieve. Mistress Diachba and I had a conversation about this very thing. If I enter a broken lozenge, twill fabric, even though this is the fabric I would wear in my period garb, I will lose points for complexity. If I enter a much more complex pattern, it will not, necessarily, be something I can use for my own period clothing. Diachba said that creating a perfect, simpler weave IS complex. Every, single error sticks out like a sore thumb. These common items are as important to achieve as your glorious chair. Some of us are striving for perfection in these "common themes." With respect and admiration, Johanne

Sent from my iPad