Stefan's take on this.

I apparently saw this differently than most people. I saw this as a suggestion to stretch yourself by doing something different. Both for yourself and others.

I run a large medieval/SCA website called Stefan's Florilegium. See the address in my signature below if you've never been there. :-)

I have a lot of info on many of the "standard" SCA subjects, but I am always amazed when folks send me, or I see, something on a subject I've never even thought of before.

And I like unusual subjects that you might not see elsewhere. Period uses of urine, beaver tail recipes, snail recipes, alcoholic horse milk beverages, etc.

If you feel that you can't research and find out anything new about the common SCA subjects, try to look at something more obscure.

Did you know they had metal tipped writing devices in period? Not everyone used quills. I didn't, until I saw a research paper that was submitted to me.

Did you know there were medieval European kites, not just medieval Asian ones? I didn't until I read another paper.

Did you know that they baked a special bread to feed horses in the Middle Ages? Again, I didn't, until someone submitted an article, including recipes to me.

Did you know that sometimes medieval pottery was used like we use aluminum foil? As a disposable way to cook food. You would cook the food in a sealed pottery container and then break it to get the food out. I have info on this, but no article. What do do some research and write an article?

Did you know that some medieval cultures tapped birch trees for their sap and made a beverage from it? Again, I have some info, but no articles on this.

Did you know that there were all types of horses and pack animals in the Middle Ages? Not everyone rode on war horses. They also used donkeys, burros and mules.  I've got a little info, but no papers. If you are interested in horses, perhaps something to investigate.

So, if you think there is nothing left to research in the objects you commonly see in the SCA?  Consider something less common, and see where that takes you.

And once you write it up, considering sending it to me to add to the Florilegium. :-) Since I take updates, it doesn't have to be perfect. As you learn more, perhaps from feedback, you can update and improve your paper.  And nothing keeps you from publishing it elsewhere or entering as an A&S entry.

Stefan