Hi Natalya, & Marla:

Authors Coalition of America has been around for some time. To provide an extremely brief description, they are rather an umbrella organization who has receives money collected outside the US, because there are collection methods in place for certain categories.
The ACA distributes money to a number of different groups (listed on their website), and many of these groups are photographers and authors, dramatists, novelists, etc.   The American Society of Illustrators Partnership (ASIP), an organization that GNSI supports, are (I think) still under this umbrella.
There are others in GNSI who are far better versed than I in the history and intertwined organizations.

That said, GNSI Board is aware of this ever-growing and ever-evolving group of organizations. There are also new players on the block that are competing for the ability to distribute foreign monies to US artists. It's partly legal entanglement and partly methodology of registering artists, and much more,  that makes some types of distribution problematic, if not a quagmire. There are many many ways to receive any distribution. We are keeping an eye and ear on it.
The full explanation would take volumes, so I just graze the surface it here. Hope this helps.
Very best,
Linda

Linda M. Feltner
520.803.0538