Linda,
 I don't remember having that kind of problem with projectors at the museum. Drawings always look nice and sharp. If the original art was not scanned at high res is 600dpi it may have looked ok as a slide with an older projectors "softer" resolution. But now with a better projector maybe you are seeing the low res of the original scan.