Hi Tom,

This article shows up on my library catalog through Gale’s Literature Resource Center but not through JSTOR.

Brian Cannon

Brigham Young University

From: Western Literature discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Lynch
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 10:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Western lit on jstor

Colleagues,

(apologies for cross-posting)

As you may or may not know, all of the issues of Western American Literature are (in theory) available online. The issues since 2010 are on Project Muse. The prior issues are on JSTOR.

One ought to be able to go to one's library website, enter the JSTOR portal, and do a search to pull up any of the old articles. I've discovered, however, that JSTOR is available in a variety of "collections," and that many libraries do not subscribe to all of the collections, including collection XIII, which is the one that contains WAL. Alas, my own library does not do so. (I've now requested that they do.)

So I'm thinking if my library at a Big 10 research I institution does not subscribe to that collection, then probably most university libraries do not do so. And hence most of our articles pre-2010 that are on JSTOR are not available to very many people.

Those of you who have read this email this far, I'd like to ask you to test this out. Could you access your library's website, go to the JSTOR portal, and do a search for one of the old articles. At random I've selected

"Character and Landscape: Frank Waters' Colorado Trilogy"

WILLIAM T. PILKINGTON

Western American Literature

Vol. 2, No. 3 (FALL 1967)

A title search should do the trick. If your library subscribes to JSTOR collection XIII, then you should have access to this article when you do a search. If your library does not subscribe, then you will not find it there.

If you could let me know if you do or do not find that article, that will help me out. I have a project in mind to increase access to WAL articles online, but if most libraries don't subscribe, it may not be worth my time.

Thanks, Tom

 Tom Lynch

     Professor

     Editor, Western American Literature

     Department of English

     202 Andrews Hall

     P.O. Box 880333

     University of Nebraska, Lincoln

     Lincoln, NE  68588-0333

Our lives are frittered away by e-mail  - H. D. Thoreau

New Books: