To IT Professionals:

Hello Everyone,

There has been a lot of cyber security events and notices in the news lately and we just wanted to update you on a few that could have an impact on the University of Nebraska computing environment.

WannaCry – Here is the notice we sent to affected systems that were up and running in our environment.  Microsoft has released a patch even for end-of-life systems like XP and Vista.

Read the full article: hxxps://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA17-132A

Subject: Please review – urgent patch needed

The University of Nebraska Information Security Team has asked us to relay the following urgent message:

We'd like to call your attention to an ongoing, large scale cyber-attack [1].  This attack leverages a recently patched [2] vulnerability in Microsoft Windows SMB to deploy ransomware across a network.  This style of attack is typically referred to as a worm [3].

At this time, we have not received any reports of local impact from this attack.  Even though we have not (yet) observed any impact from this attack, it is imperative that you act now to ensure that your machines are protected.

The only way to mitigate against this attack is to install the MS17-10 patch from Microsoft [2]

A previous scan showed that patch was missing from a machine registered to you:   10.1.6.26, farritorserver.unl.edu

Thanks for your assistance in keeping UNL secure.

[1] hxxps://arstechnica.com/security/2017/05/an-nsa-derived-ransomware-worm-is-shutting-down-computers-worldwide/

[2] hxxps://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms17-010.aspx

[3] hxxps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_worm

Intel manageability firmware critical vulnerability - Last updated: May 15, 2017

On May 1, Intel published a security advisory regarding a critical firmware vulnerability in certain systems that utilize Intel® Active Management Technology (AMT), Intel® Standard Manageability (ISM) or Intel® Small Business Technology (SBT). The vulnerability could enable a network attacker to remotely gain access to business PCs or devices that use these technologies. Consumer PCs with consumer firmware and data center servers using Intel® Server Platform Services are not affected by this vulnerability.

Until firmware updates are available, we urge people and companies using business PCs and devices that incorporate AMT, ISM or SBT to take steps to maintain the security of their systems and information.

We understand you may be concerned about this vulnerability. We have created this page to help you understand the issue, assess whether your system is impacted, and take appropriate action.

Read the full article:  hxxp://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-amt-vulnerability-announcement.html?cid=sem43700020625181399&intel_term=intel+issue&gclid=CJXv1PHA9NMCFRSewAodZgkAgQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

HP Systems with Keylogger installed in Audio Driver:

Read to full article: hxxp://www.zdnet.com/article/keylogger-found-on-several-hp-laptops/

An audio driver installed in several HP laptops contains a keylogger-type feature that records every keystroke entered into the computer into a log file, according to a security researcher.

Swiss security firm Modzero said in a security advisory posted Thursday that the keylogger activity was discovered in the Conexant HD audio driver package (version 1.0.0.46 and earlier), found on dozens of HP business and enterprise laptop models, including HP Elitebook, ProBook, and ZBook models -- including the latest Folio G1 laptop.

TITLE: Conexant HD Audio Driver

VERSION: 10.0.931.90 REV: Q PASS: 5
This package contains the driver that enables the Conexant High-Definition (HD)
Audio
in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

PURPOSE: Critical
SOFTPAQ FILE NAME: SP80264.exe
SOFTPAQ MD5: f3a26e5609289d86651413e88bc3dcc5
SUPERSEDES: none
EFFECTIVE DATE: May 11, 2017
CATEGORY: Driver-Audio
SSM SUPPORTED: Yes

PRODUCT TYPE(S):
Notebooks

HARDWARE PRODUCT MODEL(S):
HP EliteBook 820 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 828 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 840 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 848 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 850 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 640 G2 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 650 G2 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 645 G2 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 655 G2 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 450 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 430 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 440 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 446 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 470 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 455 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 725 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 745 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 755 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 1030 G1 Notebook PC
HP ZBook 15u G3 Mobile Workstation
HP Elite x2 1012 G1 Tablet
HP Elite x2 1012 G1 with Travel Keyboard
HP Elite x2 1012 G1 Advanced Keyboard
HP EliteBook Folio 1040 G3 Notebook PC
HP ZBook 17 G3 Mobile Workstation
HP ZBook 15 G3 Mobile Workstation
HP ZBook Studio G3 Mobile Workstation
HP EliteBook Folio G1 Notebook PC

OPERATING SYSTEM(S):
Microsoft Windows 10 32
Microsoft Windows 10 64
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT Enterprise 32-Bit (x86)
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT Enterprise 64-Bit (x86)
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Starter 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Edition
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Edition
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 Bit
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Chinese Market
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Emerging Markets
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Enterprise
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Multi-Language
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit Professional
Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 7 32
Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 7E 32-Bit

LANGUAGE(S): Global

DEVICES SUPPORTED:
Conexant ISST Audio
Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST) Audio Controller

ENHANCEMENTS:
Provides update for Audio issue.

PREREQUISITES:

HOW TO USE:
This package contains the driver that enables the Conexant High-Definition (HD)
Audio in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating
system.

Copyright (c) 2017 HP Development Company, L.P.

Departments fully managed by ITS will have the updates automatically distributed.  Departments using SCCM and/or JAMF Pro to manage their own devices should enable the updates for distribution to their users.  For more information about how you can take advantage of the Enterprise Desktop Services provided by ITS, please visit hxxp://its.unl.edu/desktop

Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have questions or comments about this notice.

Mike

Michael Rutt, CISSP, CISA | University of Nebraska | 402-472-0933 | [log in to unmask]