From: Julie Palakovich Carr [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 2:39 PM
To: Julie Palakovich Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Sign on letter on proposed budget cuts

Good afternoon,

The American Institute of Biological Sciences is organizing a letter to Congress about the anticipated cuts to research funding that will be likely be included in President Trump's 2018 budget request.  Since your organization signed a letter to then President-Elect Trump about the importance of biological research, I am reaching out to see if your organization would sign the attached letter.

Deadline for organizations to sign: Tuesday, May 23 at 7 pm (Eastern)

The Trump Administration is expected to release its full budget request for fiscal year 2018 on May 23.  As you may recall, the Administration's 'skinny budget' released in March outlined deep cuts to numerous federal research programs, including an 18% cut from NIH, 16% cut from the Office of Science within the Department of Energy, and nearly a 50% cut from EPA's Office of Research and Development.  Read more here<https://www.aibs.org/public-policy-reports/2017_03_20.html#062282>.  Details were not released about some other programs, including NSF.

We are anticipating that the full spending plan will be just as bad for U.S. science.  The good news is that the President's budget request is only a request.  Congress writes the spending bills.  As seen in the recent completion of 2017 appropriations<https://www.aibs.org/public-policy-reports/2017_05_01.html#062376>, Congress does not have an appetite for deep cuts to science funding.

Work is just beginning on 2018 appropriations.  Now is the time to weigh in on research funding.  I hope your organization will join in this effort.

The draft sign on letter will be sent to Congress next Wednesday.  If release of the President's budget request is delayed, we we hold off on sending the letter to Congress.  I will be in touch next Tuesday with more information about the full budget request and to confirm the timing of when the letter will be sent.

Sincerely,

Julie Palakovich Carr
Public Policy Manager
American Institute of Biological Sciences
1201 New York Avenue, NW
Suite 420
Washington, DC 20005
202-568-8117
www.aibs.org<http://www.aibs.org>

This message is confidential and should only be read by its intended recipients.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies.