Hi Kathy,

I am using CS6, but I believe CS5 had that too. The way to link a URL to a word of group of words is to go through the interactive menu.
Highlight the word(s) go to Window / Interactive / Hyperlink.
It will open a menu where you can enter the URL you wish.

Then when you save as pdf, make sure the "Hyperlinks" check box is selected (it might not be automatically depending on the save option you choose). Then open your pdf and it should work.

I hope this solves your issue even in CS5!

Aurore

Aurore Simonnet - Scientific Illustrator
NASA EPO - Sonoma State University
http://epo.sonoma.edu