Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to announce a new analysis-tool initiative integrated with the
Josquin Research Project. Now, from the work page of any piece on the JRP
(e.g. http://josquin.stanford.edu/work/?id=Jos0406), you can click on the
"Dissonant" or "Imitation" analysis buttons on left of the page to add
analytical annotations to dynamically generated scores.

I have been working with Craig Sapp to identify dissonance types in a
pairwise fashion based on Renaissance repertoire and discourse. We classify
the ~160,000 dissonances on the JRP into numerous types, many of which are
specially designed for Renaissance music including a distinction between
binary and ternary suspensions, and short- vs long-form nota cambiatas.
Detailed documentation explaining the dissonance types with repertoire
examples can be found here: http://doc.verovio.humdrum.org/filters/dissonant

The imitation analysis filter identifies imitation between any two parts in
a piece, at any time interval of imitation, and at any pitch interval of
imitation. It colors the notes involved red and annotates each point of
imitation with a concise label conveying an index number, the number of
notes, the time interval of imitation, and the pitch interval of imitation.

Our "filters" can be used independently, or combined together. Combining
several filters together allows one to, for example, label the dissonances
and points of imitation between just the superius and tenor in measures
88-94 of the Gloria of Josquin's Missa Ave maris stella. The URL of the
annotated score can be shared like this:
http://verovio.humdrum.org/?k=ey&filter=extract%20-s2,4%
7cmyank%20-m88-94%7cdissonant%7cimitation&file=jrp:Jos0301b

These analysis tools are also available for pieces not on the JRP.
Drag-and-drop a kern or MusicXML file onto one of the following pages:
-dissonance analysis: http://verovio.humdrum.org/?k=ey&filter=dissonant
-imitation analysis: http://verovio.humdrum.org/?k=ey&filter=imitation
-both together: http://verovio.humdrum.org/?k=ey&filter=dissonant%
7cimitation

More Renaissance-specific analysis tools are on the way, and we welcome any
feedback about these current tools.

Regards,

Alexander Morgan
Prix Banneux Post-doctoral Fellow