Feel free to go there and offer a little advice, or do so here and i will post it there. - Britt
___

A submission has been made to the site:
https://gnsi.org/forum/science-illustration-education/education-advice-and-solicitation-little-mentorship

Hello all,

I am currently in the process of planning a way forward to become a professional illustrator, and
looking for help making a road map. I've read many threads on the topic here in the forum, and the
brochures, and the handbook. I generally understand what skills one needs, but I could use advice
and direction on how best to acquire these skills. I'm hoping someone might be willing to pen-pal
with me a little, either in this thread or private email, and offer assistance with planning a
direction forward.

I'll give a little background here without getting too wordy (I hope). I have a BS in Marine Biology
from UC Santa Cruz - I was there when the science communication program was still there, and saw the
wonderful illustration exhibits. I have a professional certificate in Museum and Field Studies from
CU Boulder. My primary work study jobs through school were animal husbandry work and museum
collections work. I also took a handful of drawing and design classes throughout whenever I could
cram one in between the physics and chemistry, including a science illustration class at CU Boulder.
  I worked for several years at a public aquarium in Salt Lake City after graduating.

Since then, my husband has joined the Navy, we have two young children, and we live in the FL
panhandle. In the identity crisis that tends to come with being an over-educated housewife, I
realized that I want to be an illustrator when I grow up. But, running of off to Monterey isn't an
option for me. So, I'm trying to cobble together some training. I'm making contacts with local art
groups, I'm taking the MOOC offered by the University of Newcastle as a refresher, and I'm going to
audit art courses at the local junior college. I'm also enrolling in an 18 week long Adobe Photoshop
course offered by Continuing Ed at the college. I have contacts at the local NOAA as well - I'm
heading there today for some specimen drawing practice. My concrete goal  is to have a small
portfolio to bring to the meeting next year in DC. In fact, it is likely we will be stationed in DC
in the next year or two, so my Dream Big Goal is to become a competitive candidate for internships
either at the Smithsonian or some other place that might offer illustration training.

Maybe when both of my children go to elementary school I can consider getting a Masters in Art
wherever we are living when the time comes, but that's further down the line. I'm also exploring the
online certificates offered by a couple of artists, but financially speaking we are somewhat limited
in the money we can throw around. I need to streamline the classes I take and effort I put in, as
time is at a premium in my household. I would very much appreciate any training advice or guidance
anyone can offer - particularly from anyone who juggles children with their career, or someone who
may have followed a round-about path to become an illustrator.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

-Chrissy