I've had the same experience, where I had to reinstall an old version,
which is why I've kept them all. I was going to check to make sure I
have all the serial numbers, I think I do but... I would guess that the
serial number is enough now. I figure if they aren't going to give me a
discanymore, then I can toss out the old ones?

I believe I have every version of Photoshop starting with v.3, and
probably most of the same vintage Illustrator versions as well. Also
Claris, Quark (I don't use it at all anymore), you name it. Boxes. I'm
with Marj, the temptation is to toss the lot, but I dislike throwing
stuff out if someone can use it. We hauled a trunk-full of goodies to
our local charity outlet, they have a gift shop where they sell
knickknacks and homemade items to help support their give-aways. I
parted with two boxes of nice little knickknacks I've had for decades...
time to clean out!

Now I actually have empty spaces on my basement shelves! wow. Jamie is
so happy, of course she's the one who will have to deal with all our
junk when we're gone, haha.

-Gail

On 7/26/17 12:49 PM, Lynette Cook wrote:
> I believe there was an answer to your original post, Gail: about
> approaching nonprofits, if I remember correctly. If you have no need
> to install software via disk at this point - and especially if the
> operating systems and such for the old versions are different from
> your current one (and thus incompatible), I see no reason to keep
> them. I suppose you can ask on listservs and any groups you belong to
> such as Freecycle if anyone wants them. My personal experience is that
> most people upgrade much faster than I do and want newer versions
> themselves. Though I think you'd have takers for Photoshop CS 6 (I'd
> like that myself!). I suppose you're asking about versions older than
> that? I need to go through my shelves and dump also. I still have my
> Mac OS 8.somethings.
>
> Once in a blue moon I'm grateful I kept old stuff as I install
> software and the computer wants to verify I purchased an earlier
> version. So I go hunt, install the older disk, and it's satisfied.
> Occasionally it wants a serial # rather than a disk, though, and I
> have to hunt in my receipts/paperwork instead. This said, these
> occasions are increasingly infrequent.
>
> Lynette
>
> On Jul 26, 2017, at 9:39 AM, Gail Guth wrote:
>
>> Hi, All!
>> Do I need to keep old versions of software (Photoshop, Illustrator
>> etc) on discs, as I now use Adobe CC downloads? Can I toss them out,
>> do I bring them to the auction, or ?????
>>
>> I have boxes of old discs for all sorts of Mac programs. Cleaning
>> house!!!!
>>
>> -Gail
>>
>> --
>> Gail Guth