Wow, this is a great question. This person sounds like they are
seriously interested in applying various skills to a career. Not a
casual inquiry.  I cannot answer the questions regarding 3-D, but I know
we have members who have incredible skills. I hope you can take the time
to offer what advice you can.

Many of us might address the difference in scientific and medical
illustration, and the crossovers. Especially the passion for biology
that many of you have degrees in, as well as various applications within
the field of scientific illustration.

For me, and my career in 2-D, I find the melding of art and science
provides the strongest base. My expertise is in the field of
Interpretation, creating educational materials and signage for parks,
murals for visitor centers, field guide publications. My subject matter
can be quite broad, from biology, archeology, astronomy, volcanology,
river morphology, and worldwide ecosystem relationships. I have worked
with 3-D designers to provide animated educational materials in visitor
centers. We work directly with scientists to provide accurate
information in a manner appropriate to the public audience. There are so
many types of scientific illustration and the same goes for their
application. It's a growing field, too, with new technology that
especially includes animation. We have members who are 3-D animators
with awesome skills, and although their applications/publications may be
different than 2-D, there are opportunities where the two overlap.

So, please give a few minutes to this response, if you can.
Very best,
Linda

Linda M. Feltner
520.803.0538