These are great questions. I had a very strong background in science (bfa and bs) before grad school and truthfully didn't get that much out grad school aside from dissection and surgical observation opportunities. My 3-D modeling and animation was all self taught and on the job. My subject matter is quite specific, but within that I have had a fair amount of freedom for exploring emerging software and technology to find best method of accurate representation.

On July 19, 2017, at 10:33 PM, ANA CLARIZA SAMAYOA <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Sent from my Windows Phone

De: Linda Feltner-GNSI
Enviado el: ‎19/‎07/‎2017 11:06 p.m.
Para: [log in to unmask]
Asunto: Re: [SCIART] GNSI Forum Question on Science Animation Education programs

Wow, this is a great question. This person sounds like they are seriously interested in applying various skills to a career. Not a casual inquiry.  I cannot answer the questions regarding 3-D, but I know we have members who have incredible skills. I hope you can take the time to offer what advice you can.

Many of us might address the difference in scientific and medical illustration, and the crossovers. Especially the passion for biology that many of you have degrees in, as well as various applications within the field of scientific illustration.

For me, and my career in 2-D, I find the melding of art and science provides the strongest base. My expertise is in the field of Interpretation, creating educational materials and signage for parks, murals for visitor centers, field guide publications. My subject matter can be quite broad, from biology, archeology, astronomy, volcanology, river morphology, and worldwide ecosystem relationships. I have worked with 3-D designers to provide animated educational materials in visitor centers. We work directly with scientists to provide accurate information in a manner appropriate to the public audience.  There are so many types of scientific illustration and the same goes for their application. It's a growing field, too, with new technology that especially includes animation. We have members who are 3-D animators with awesome skills, and although their applications/publications may be different than 2-D, there are opportunities where the two overlap.

So, please give a few minutes to this response, if you can.
Very best,
Linda

Linda M. Feltner
520.803.0538