All,

I'm sure that you thought I'd forgotten about the elections for this year.  Nothing could be further from the truth, but some changes in nominations and a few other issues delayed the process.  Trust me, there is no one that wants to hand the baton on to someone else more than me...  In the months since soliciting nominations, several nominees have opted to withdraw their candidacy due to work obligations so we essentially have a slate of unopposed officer candidates with one exception.  We still have two candidates for Program Chair.  After discussion with the current Executive Officers and with the two candidates, we are proposing co-Program Chairs as a possibility.  Having done it myself, I can easily see where there is enough work for 2 people.  So, we are proposing an amendment to the bylaws to allow the ability to have co-Program Chairs in any given term (see attached PDF with changes highlighted).  According to the current bylaws, amendments must be presented to the membership and sit on the books for 1 month.  We are therefore presenting said amendments today and starting the clock for a vote to approve the bylaw amendments and approve the slate of officers as a group in August.  I will also have Gino post a copy of these amendments on the ECN website during the 1 month review period.  My plan is to invite the candidates to participate in our Executive meetings beginning this month and moving forward until the Annual Meeting so they have a chance to see how the organization operates and to ask questions.  Thank you for your time and consideration.  And if you haven't submitted your presentation for the ECN meeting, there's still time!!!  We have lots of room for talks and posters still.

Floyd

Floyd W. Shockley, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.
Collections Manager
Department of Entomology
National Museum of Natural History
Smithsonian Institution
P.O. Box 37012, MRC 165
Washington, DC 20013-7012
Tel (office): 202-633-0982
Fax (office): 202-786-2894
Email:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Staff Website:  http://entomology.si.edu/StaffPages/ShockleyF.html