Hi, all--

Geoff and I are having a side conversation about cover letters, which are
sometimes as important as the interview.  We will put our notes together
from the side conversation and share those ideas soon.

To the other good comments already shared by John, Steve and Jim, let me
add some real basics.  Candidates should read the job ad and be ready to
talk about the expectations in the job ad.  Whether candidates are
mainstream or not, a blunder that some candidates make is, in answer to the
inevitable question, 'what would you like to teach,' is to answer,
'whatever you need.'   (The caveat is that, in smaller departments, the
'whatever you need' will be the right answer, but even then, having read
the job ad and being ready to say, "I haven't taught XXX or YYY but I have
thought about how I would teach it.  If it is a mainstream program, then be
ready to cite a mainstream textbook or two, but don't be afraid to say that
you would also make use of history or integrate policy discussions, etc.

In those cases where the job ad lists the possibility of teaching an
interdisciplinary or in some areas of gen ed,  heterodox candidates will
have a comparative advantage.  So it is a good idea to take a look at
course offerings across the curriculum or the course offerings in the
department, as be ready with some possibilities -- not twelve possible new
courses, or even six, but one or two creative offerings that a heterodox
candidate would like to teach.

Jan Knoedler

--
Janet T. Knoedler, Professor of Economics
Academic West 235