Hi, all--

Geoff and I are having a side conversation about cover letters, which are sometimes as important as the interview.  We will put our notes together from the side conversation and share those ideas soon.

To the other good comments already shared by John, Steve and Jim, let me add some real basics.  Candidates should read the job ad and be ready to talk about the expectations in the job ad.  Whether candidates are mainstream or not, a blunder that some candidates make is, in answer to the inevitable question, 'what would you like to teach,' is to answer, 'whatever you need.'   (The caveat is that, in smaller departments, the 'whatever you need' will be the right answer, but even then, having read the job ad and being ready to say, "I haven't taught XXX or YYY but I have thought about how I would teach it.  If it is a mainstream program, then be ready to cite a mainstream textbook or two, but don't be afraid to say that you would also make use of history or integrate policy discussions, etc.

In those cases where the job ad lists the possibility of teaching an interdisciplinary or in some areas of gen ed,  heterodox candidates will have a comparative advantage.  So it is a good idea to take a look at course offerings across the curriculum or the course offerings in the department, as be ready with some possibilities -- not twelve possible new courses, or even six, but one or two creative offerings that a heterodox candidate would like to teach.

Jan Knoedler