Gretchen

Gretchen Halpert
Illustrator/educator

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Watts, Juliette -FS <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Thank you Chris. Very interesting story.

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]EDU] On Behalf Of Chris Gralapp
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 11:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SCIART] Brown tree creeper painting found in Antarctica

Hi Sci-arters,

This story came to light for me in one of my archaeology magazines--about Edward Wilson, an English doctor, artist and a member of Scott's 1911 Antarctic Expedition, who brought with him a lovely watercolor of a brown creeper which he had painted in 1899. Wilson perished along with the other members of the expedition in 1912.  The painting was recently found in Scott's hut and is being conserved.  What a fascinating story--the painting has lain frozen in Antarctica for 118 years!

https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/edward-wilsons-bird/
https://www.nzaht.org/pages/118-year-old-painting-found-in-antarctica
   (this one has a little movie)

Chris