A PDF embeds images and you should not have to rasterize the image. That said, depending on the resolution of the output, some banding of gradients in particular can occur. Also, sometimes PDFs do not handle transparency well. So... bottom line, make a proof and hand that off with the job. And keep copies of all files just in case.

This is my experience from printing many student projects over the years. As always, others' experience may vary.

Best, K

From my iPhone.

On Aug 7, 2017, at 10:30 AM, Mieke Roth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Clara,

No, Illustrator files will stay vector images in pdf. So if you don't want them to mess around with it, you need to rasterize it before making the pdf.

Mieke

Mieke Roth
Http://miekeroth.com
+31 6 37280899
_____________________________
From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: maandag, augustus 7, 2017 5:26 PM
Subject: [SCIART] gradients in Illustrator
To: <[log in to unmask]>

Hello all!

I am suddenly faced with handing off an Illustrator job for which gradients are a necessary part of the image. I will be handing off a pdf and have no control over the image, which will be both on line and print.

Should I rasterize them before making the pdf or does the pdf do that?

Thanks for any input. I cut my teeth on Illustrator but haven’t used it much in ages and don’t really have any experience with gradients. They are fun though!

-Clara

Clara Richardson

Co-Editor, Journal of Natural Science Illustration