Bill’s comments reminding us that we stand on the shoulders of giants
prompts me to offer a public thank you to him for extending to me a warm
welcome to the world of AFIT long ago.  (I had the pleasure of offering
brief thanks in private last April in San Francisco.)   Fresh out of
graduate school three decades ago, I and a friend submitted a paper
proposal which was accepted and the work to produce said paper thus began
in earnest.

My friend and I were associated with institutions far apart (midwest and
southwest) and internet communication was not so easy then.  (A rational
agent probably would have devoted the time it took to craft that paper to
an unfinished dissertation instead.)   We managed to get it done although
it was submitted late.  At that time I of course had no idea that such was
perhaps not that unusual.)  At the conference in Albuquerque, we spent an
afternoon (quaffing Tecate) in the bright spring sun and paring the
rather-large “ finished” paper (a rather vitriolic attack on orthodoxy--oh
how original) down into a presentable form and deciding which of us would
present which parts.  Decisions were made and it was time to save the
document.  My laptop (with majestic monochromatic LCD display and very
large battery) ran out of “juice” before the save was completed.  We’d
failed to notice the low battery warning.  Was it the sun rendering the
screen nearly unreadable or was it the Tecate or was it some linear
combination thereof?  I’ll let our neoclassical brethren model that one.
(Nota Bene: My preferences are frequently not well-behaved.)

Needless to say we were in deep excrement and, I was already scared
witless.  I’d  read and admired Bill’s work and the thought of him
critiquing our work was horrifying.  And now, it would invariably be
presented badly too.  The paper was part of the Louis J. Junker memorial
session.  I’ll confess that I had no idea if there was much significance to
that.  That was the least of my worries.

It’s show time.  I’m sweating...and it ain’t because this midwestern boy is
unaccustomed to summer heat in April.  Bill walked in moments before the
presentation–looking even more intellectual than I’d  imagined–and quickly
introduced himself and the session.  He began with a brief vignette as to
who Louis Junker was and what he was about, and I steeled up for the
upbraiding I expected would follow.  To my utter surprise (and great
relief), he instead crafted a narrative–on the spot--suggesting that Louis
would have been really happy to attend the session and see that younger
scholars were keeping the tradition alive, challenging orthodoxy in
intellectually hostile times.

Presenting the paper suddenly became considerably less frightening  I
thought it went over pretty well.  Bill’s comments were generous and
supportive–and it appeared he’d actually read the paper as he referred to
some passages therein and extolled the virtues thereof.  Pretty heady fare
for a couple of youngins.  A couple years later I timidly asked Bill if he
would be willing to participate on a panel devoted to the teaching of
heterodox ideas and he graciously agreed without hesitation.  I think folks
genuinely enjoyed the give and take which the session precipitated.
(Personally, it more than offset the dismay associated with my being
trapped in an elevator in the Denver conference hotel and thus missing
entirely the opening cocktail party.)

Over many years I came to meet Marc, Dale, Anne, a few Johns (Adams.,
Harvey and Watkins among others), Edith, Gladys, Randy, Yngve (I still miss
him), Charlie, a “Blues Man” masquerading as an economist, and a whole lot
of other genuinely interesting and intelligent folk.

We indeed stand on the shoulders of giants.  Correctly or otherwise, in my
mind that has always connoted those who have passed.    Regardless, there
are giants still very much amongst us and I think it might serve
institutionalism well to more frequently recognize/celebrate that in a
non-ceremonial way.  So.  Thanks again, Bill.  May you live long and
continue to rattle the cage.

--
Brian Eggleston, Ph.D.
Department of Economics

Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power and the
fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes.  You are free.      Jim Morrison (The
Doors)