Presenting the paper suddenly became considerably less frightening  I thought it went over pretty well.  Bill’s comments were generous and supportive–and it appeared he’d actually read the paper as he referred to some passages therein and extolled the virtues thereof.  Pretty heady fare for a couple of youngins.  A couple years later I timidly asked Bill if he would be willing to participate on a panel devoted to the teaching of heterodox ideas and he graciously agreed without hesitation.  I think folks genuinely enjoyed the give and take which the session precipitated.  (Personally, it more than offset the dismay associated with my being trapped in an elevator in the Denver conference hotel and thus missing entirely the opening cocktail party.)

Over many years I came to meet Marc, Dale, Anne, a few Johns (Adams., Harvey and Watkins among others), Edith, Gladys, Randy, Yngve (I still miss him), Charlie, a “Blues Man” masquerading as an economist, and a whole lot of other genuinely interesting and intelligent folk.

We indeed stand on the shoulders of giants.  Correctly or otherwise, in my mind that has always connoted those who have passed.    Regardless, there are giants still very much amongst us and I think it might serve institutionalism well to more frequently recognize/celebrate that in a non-ceremonial way.  So.  Thanks again, Bill.  May you live long and continue to rattle the cage.

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 2:56 PM, BILL and PAULY DUGGER <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Doug Dowd rests in peace now. He had a deep and lasting effect on me. His Twisted Dream and Blues for America as well as his MR article Let Them Eat Theory were formative in my own development as a radical institutionalist, and an intellectual son of Thorstein Veblen. Jim Cypher did me a great favor some years back by introducing me to Dowd after one of the AFEE or URPE meetings, I think in San Francisco. After being introduced and with little prompting whatsoever, Dowd effortlessly gave me an impromptu hour lecture on trends in recent American intellectual life.  I will never forget it. My friends, we stand on the shoulders of giants. That's why radical leftists can see further than conservative apologists. Unknown to Cypher and Dowd, I was done another  great favor a few months before meeting Dowd by being introduced to Russell Means, one of the great leaders of the American Indian Movement, who brilliantly criticized me and my thought for a solid four hours in a long ago afternoon in San Diego for being little more than a marshmallow (white face) radical. With such astonishingly good luck in my corner, how could I not help but go wrong and take the path less traveled? Being less than perfect, I have stumbled most of my way  down that path. But I would have never even started out without the help I was so kindly given by so many. Thank you all dear friends. May you rest in peace when your time comes, too. In the meantime, however, give em hell like Doug Dowd did.

--Bill Dugger
William M. Dugger
Professor of Economics

From: Michael Keaney <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:35 AM
Subject: Re: Doug Dowd, 1919-2017

Thanks to Jim for forwarding his appreciation of Doug Dowd. "Blues for America" is indeed a worthy read.

Douglas Fitzgerald Dowd came to my attention originally through the reminiscences of Andrew Skinner, then the Adam Smith Professor of Political Economy at the University of Glasgow but many years earlier an exchange student at Cornell University. While there he encountered institutionalist economics via Doug and Morris Copeland. Having done some archival digging I came upon Doug's excellent presentation of Veblen's ideas, "Thorstein Veblen", originally published by Washington Square Press in 1966. Irving Louis Horowitz at Transaction Publishers graciously agreed to publish a new edition of the book and through that enterprise I was able to get to know Doug personally. He very kindly hosted us for 2 weeks in the spring of 1999 at his home in San Francisco, and during our visit we accompanied him to one of his public classes in Petaluma - well attended, and fully participatory.

Doug was able to combine the skills of the historian with adherence to theoretical rigour, without allowing either to distort the other. He was acutely aware of the methodological choices he made, and also rejected. His magnum opus, "The Twisted Dream" (published in 1974, later republished as "US Capitalist Development Since 1776: Of, By, and For Which People?" in 1993), combined those talents to telling effect. There was no question which side he was on, but his identification especially with Veblen allowed him the sort of detachment and objectivity (and keen sense of irony) that enabled him to highlight the shortcomings of the dogmatic, as when he published in 1982 his controversial Monthly Review article, "Marxism for the few, or, let 'em eat theory", which was a robust critique of the sectarianism that had overtaken URPE, an organisation he had helped to found in 1968. Fortunately years later he was able to re-establish collaborative contact by presenting the URPE lecture named in honour of David M. Gordon, in 2002. As a student at UC Berkeley, Doug had had a difficult relationship with David's father Robert Aaron Gordon, whereas he shared much in common with David, whom he came to admire as a pioneering radical economist, taken from us too soon.

Doug and I continued to be involved in various publishing ventures, and our last collaboration was an interview conducted for the URPE website in 2011. He was a prolific writer and teacher, and if anything his output became even more urgent as he grew older. His humour remained firmly intact, and he employed it to disguise well the frustrations and pains of age. Doug enjoyed a wonderful partnership of many years with Anna, whose Italian roots led them to relocate permanently to Bologna soon after the turn of the century. It was there that for some years, well over the age of 80, he taught as a visiting professor at the branch of Johns Hopkins University. Like his student contemporary at UC Berkeley, Chalmers Johnson (whom he never met but whom he greatly appreciated), he remained as active an activist for as long as his health allowed.

The world is poorer without him, richer for having had him.

Michael Keaney