Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions Linda and Stephanie. Gretchen, I have been
experimenting with watercolor graphite, more for fine art purposes than
scientific illustration. I'm interested in contrasting the fluid brushy
marks of the watercolor graphite with the tight details you can get with a
mechanical pencil. Here
<https://www.instagram.com/p/BVm4tWVBL1g/?taken-by=kjkillackey> and here
<https://www.instagram.com/p/BXpbVXtBsT6/?taken-by=kjkillackey> are my
first two attempts. You can erase into the watercolor graphite but only to
a certain extent, you can't get back your true whites or very light shades.
I have been trying to use the masking fluid to reserve areas for true
whites and fine detail but I don't like the changes this makes to the
surface for detailed drawing. The best solution I can come up with right
now is to block areas off with artist's tape and cut out shapes with an
exacto.

best,
Kathryn

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Gretchen Halpert <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Kathryn,
>
> What is your purpose in using masking fluid with graphite? I am curious
> why erasing is not sufficient. Thanks.
>
> Sincerely,
> Gretchen
>
> www.gretchenhalpert.com
> www.gretchenhalpert-distanceprogram.com
>

> On Aug 31, 2017, at 1:33 PM, Kathryn Killackey <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Linda,
>
> Where there ever any replies to this? I'd love to hear about people's
> experiences with this too. So far I have tried both Winsor & Newton and
> Grumbacher masking fluids on Arches 140lb HP and found that it roughs up
> the surface in a way I don't like for graphite application. Perhaps I
> should try 300lb paper?
>
> best,
> Kathryn
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> HI All:
>> I must have lost some emails. I remember someone telling me about their
>> experience with masking fluid while working with graphite, not liquid media.
>> If it was any of you out there that contributed that information, could
>> you please let me know.
>> I would like to know the paper specifications, as well as the masking
>> fluid specs and what kind of tool you used.
>>

>> Thank you very much,
>> Linda
>> --
>> _____________________
>> Linda M. Feltner Artist LLC
>> Guild of Natural Science Illustrators, President
>> 520.803.0538 <(520)%20803-0538>
>> www.lindafelter.com

>> instructions at
>>

> --