Hi Karen:
Everything is sent CMYK, always. But there are remnant bits that are
undetectable from way, way back. Sometimes I'm tempted to simply start
over and not use the older templates, but that's not in my budget.

The fabricators have asked for layers for years on these panels. I
believe they are trying to match the original PMS color designates.  It
may have something to do with their RIP on their machines. Besides I use
two different vendors, so to match the colors, it's up to them to tweak
according to their own systems. But that's what they want and I don't
have the budget to learn their system and plan accordingly. It's much
easier (time-wise) for me to let them tweak it (if they HAVE to).

All the templates are now converted into the new CC version. When I get
warning messages from new versions of software, I DO have to pay
attention to those.

These kiosk panels are 48x60", and many used a combo of placed Photoshop
files for illustrations and photos. I don't like INDesign for this type
of layout, because there are maps and I create vector trails, roads,
boundaries, international symbols, logos. The trails are sometimes using
.ai files from GIS maps generated by government mapping programs.
Sometimes I can use their vector trail lines, and other times I need to
simplify so create my own and match the ones from their systems. It's
just so much easier and faster to to in Illustrator.

I use InDesign for booklets and guides (and the preflight and collect
features)  but for single panels, Illustrator has been a better program.
And before folks roll their eyes over the design of 100%-sized panels,
just know that from my past experience, I don't create them half size
anymore.  (I'm just sayin').

I think "collect for output" would be a great feature for Illustrator -
but it never probably will have it.  Over 8 kiosks, I could have 50+
links, so it would be a timesaver to have a preflight that can analyze
for me, but up until now I've done it manually by keeping a spreadsheet
with an 11-point checklist for production. It saves me time later,  but
is rather tedious and there is always something that can be overlooked.
(Actually Adobe Bridge is a big help. I gather the links in a folder and
from Bridge can run through the bunch and it shows me resolution, size,
type and profile. ). That is my double-check for the spreadsheet. .

Thank your for thinking about this.
Best cheer,
Linda
Linda M. Feltner