Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions Linda and Stephanie. Gretchen, I have been experimenting with watercolor graphite, more for fine art purposes than scientific illustration. I'm interested in contrasting the fluid brushy marks of the watercolor graphite with the tight details you can get with a mechanical pencil. Here and here are my first two attempts. You can erase into the watercolor graphite but only to a certain extent, you can't get back your true whites or very light shades. I have been trying to use the masking fluid to reserve areas for true whites and fine detail but I don't like the changes this makes to the surface for detailed drawing. The best solution I can come up with right now is to block areas off with artist's tape and cut out shapes with an exacto.

best,
Kathryn