From: Emily S. Damstra <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, September 1, 2017 5:38 AM
Subject: [SCIART] Can one make text look like it is on a 3D surface in Photoshop?

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone out there can give me a little advice about a way to make text look like it is on a 3D surface using either Photoshop or Illustrator CC.

I need to make some text look like it is on a concave surface. Picture the inside of a shallow bowl, viewing it directly from above so the edge is a circle.

I have tried making a shape in Illustrator and then revolving it and adding my text (as a symbol) to that surface. This didn't look good.

So, I'm thinking I may need to figure out how to use the 3D artboard in Photoshop, and then create my shape and add text to it. Does anyone know if I can map text to a 3D object in Photoshop, and then make the object itself disappear so I can just use the text layer in the regular default 2D Photoshop workspace?

Or, is there a simpler way to accomplish my goal?

I have never used Photoshop's 3D capabilities, so this would be a steep learning curve for me. I'm game to try it out,  but first I want to make sure I can actually do what I want to do using those tools (since I do have a deadline after all).

Thanks!

---
Emily S. Damstra
natural science illustration