Chafers is a genuine English name for these beetles. Other concoctions are synthetic and therefore, with luck, incomprehensible!

From: Scarab Beetle Taxonomy Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dirk Ahrens
Sent: 30 September 2017 12:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Native English speakers: seeking for an alternative expression as common name for chafers (Scarabaeidae: Melolonthinae)

Here are the files. Sorry for the delay…

Dirk

Am 03.07.2015 um 16:10 schrieb Riaan Stals <[log in to unmask]>:

Hi Dirk

I answer since you have referee trouble with beetles from my part of the world specifically.

There is on earth noting wrong with “chafers”!! I do not know of any other realistic English alternative. Please, definitely not “May beetles”. The chafers of Europe may be active in May, but they are scarce to absent in May in southern Africa. Another misleading term, which is in use in South Africa, is “Christmas beetles”.

What would the referees say of the following, a South Africanism that is increasing in popularity, for all those blandly brown melolonthines and rutelines: Flying Peanuts!

Cheers,

Riaan

RIAAN STALS

South African National Collection of Insects (SANC)

ARC-Plant Protection Research Institute (ARC-PPRI)

Private Bag X134, Queenswood, Pretoria, 0121 South Africa

Voice: +27-12-808-8276

Alternative e-address  [log in to unmask]