All,

Corporate sponsorships are rolling in, and the meeting final details are shaping up.  Right now, we have a good number of attendees, but it’s not too late to register (though at a slightly higher rate now but still discounted from on-site registration).

The reason I’m reaching out is that I have initiated conversations to fund Sophia Spencer’s travel to participate in the Social Media symposium on Sunday morning.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with Sophia, she was the little girl that was made fun of for liking insects that caught the Twitterverse’s attention last summer, thanks to coordinated activity by our own Morgan Jackson.  You’ll remember the story from the recent special issue of the Annals of the ESA (see attached article about the #BugsR4Girls hashtag).  I was hoping to bring Sophia (perhaps ESA’s youngest contributing author) and her mother Nicole to the ECN meeting for the Social Media symposium and to have her and Morgan join the speakers in the SM symposium for the 20 minute Q&A session.

So, now the ask…I asking anyone who has been on the fence about personal sponsorship of the meeting to consider contributing a donation to help fund Nicole and Sophia’s travel to the meeting (airfare and 2 nights in the hotel) so she can meet ECN members and also spend part of Sunday enjoying the beginning of the ESA meeting.  Since I know this isn’t everyone’s particular cup of tea, I am trying not to use corporate sponsorship dollars to fund Sophia’s trip to Denver.  So, please consider giving to bring this special little entomologist to meet you all and to see that ECN members and ESA members both think #BugsR4Girls.  Please note in your donation if you are donating specifically to support Sophia.

Cheers,

Floyd

Floyd W. Shockley, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

Collections Manager