The spots remind me of tachinid eggs I have seen on adult Phyllophaga captured in light or pheromone traps.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 13, 2017, at 11:09 AM, François Génier <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

At one point I was thinking they could have been fly eggs embedded in some kind of « glue » so the eggs could be dispersed with the beetles… but the microscopic preparation seems to say otherwise.

François

De : Scarab Beetle Taxonomy Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] De la part de Bruce Gill
Envoyé : 13 octobre 2017 10:42
À : [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Objet : Re: Query RE: mysterious yellow spots on Onthophagus taurus

Now I'm very interested in learning what these "plaques" are, as shown in DSCN3724.  I've observed them on numerous genera of Scarabaeine dung beetles from the Neotropics and elsewhere. At an Ent. Soc. of America symposium on Insect-Fungus relationships some 20+ years ago, the speaker showed images of very similar structures on the pronota and elytra of beetles and said they were Laboulbeniales.  If these are not labouls, then perhaps they are another group of fungi.

Bruce