Hi All:

My colleague, Wes Watson, has a project with Onthophagus taurus.  A number of the adult beetles he's recovering are speckled with yellow spots.  Closer examination reveals what appears to be yeast(?) in the spots.  Have others made a similar observations on beetles?  Photos are attached.

Any clue as to what these are?

If you can help Wes out, I know he would appreciate it.  Please contact Wes directly at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Floate, Research Scientist
Insect Biocontrol | Lutte biologique aux insectes
Lethbridge Research Centre | Centre de recherches de Lethbridge
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada | Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada
5403 - 1st Avenue South, P.O. Box 3000 | 5403 - 1ère Avenue Sud, C.P. 3000
Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA  T1J 4B1
Email | Adresse courriel:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Telephone | Téléphone:  403-317-2242
Facsimile | Télécopieur:  403-382-3156
Teletypewriter | Téléimprimeur:  613-773-2600
http://sites.google.com/site/dungins/homepage

Dr. Kevin Floate, Editor-in-Chief
The Canadian Entomologist<http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayJournal?jid=tce>