Yes, I have also seen such defects on Copris, Onitis and some aphodines in Spain, usually in wet conditions (Spring). In dry specimens the defects become darker and generally match the colour of the surrounding exoskeleton. I have always assumed it was due to the integument failing to properly sclerotize due to water saturation during emergence.

Jason