Hi folks

Here in Brazil this is also pretty common on top of Dichotomius and Ontherus species.

I always thought this would just be "dirt".

Cheers,
Carlos

On 10/11/2017 6:32 PM, JF Mate wrote:
Yes, I have also seen such defects on Copris, Onitis and some aphodines in Spain, usually in wet conditions (Spring). In dry specimens the defects become darker and generally match the colour of the surrounding exoskeleton. I have always assumed it was due to the integument failing to properly sclerotize due to water saturation during emergence.

Jason