If I combine all the previous answers, I come to the following hypothesis: larva develops in dungmass - larva pupates - heavy rain soaks remaining dung mass surrounding teneral beetle - drops of liquid dung attach to teneral beetle - liquid dung dries on hardening beetle - beetle emerges with dung spots attached to exoskeleton - beetle gets collected by one of us.

Cheers, Auke