Hi Kevin,

You were pretty close with "yeast", but they are laboulbeniales fungi of the Class Laboulbeniomycetes. They are quite common on dung beetles from around the world, and also occur on a wide variety of other beetles.  A five volume work on the group was published by Thaxter from 1896-1931, but I think the group has been neglected by Mycologists over the last few decades . . . or perhaps half century!

Cheers,

Bruce

B.D.Gill, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

Editor-in-Chief, Biodiversity

Published by Biodiversity Conservancy International http://biodiversityconservancy.org

and Taylor & Francis Journals http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/tbid20

On 2017-10-11 15:13, Floate, Kevin wrote:

Hi All:

My colleague, Wes Watson, has a project with Onthophagus taurus.  A number of the adult beetles he’s recovering are speckled with yellow spots.  Closer examination reveals what appears to be yeast(?) in the spots.  Have others made a similar observations on beetles?  Photos are attached.

Any clue as to what these are?

If you can help Wes out, I know he would appreciate it.  Please contact Wes directly at [log in to unmask]

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Floate, Research Scientist

Insect Biocontrol | Lutte biologique aux insectes

Lethbridge Research Centre | Centre de recherches de Lethbridge
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada | Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada
5403 - 1st Avenue South, P.O. Box 3000 | 5403 - 1ère Avenue Sud, C.P. 3000
Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA  T1J 4B1

Email | Adresse courriel:  [log in to unmask]
Telephone | Téléphone:  403-317-2242
Facsimile | Télécopieur:  403-382-3156
Teletypewriter | Téléimprimeur:  613-773-2600

http://sites.google.com/site/dungins/homepage

Dr. Kevin Floate, Editor-in-Chief

The Canadian Entomologist