Systematics, Evolution and Biodiversity Section

Entomological Society of America

Graduate Student Endowment
 Fund Raising Drive 2017

Dear all,

I just wanted to update you on the state of the endowment for 2017. Good news all around. The 2017 Graduate Student Research Endowment (GSRE) Award  was awarded to Ummat Somjee (University of Florida) for his project "Correlated evolution of sexually selected weapons and testes in the Coreidae (Hemiptera)".

As of September 30, the principal is at $56,350. The principle is managed by the Entomological Society of America in a restricted fund (i.e., we don't spend it, and it only grows through donations). The interest on the fund for 2017 was valued at $6,076 as of September 30, 2017, and the SysEB executive decided that $6,000 will be put into the research endowment award for 2018! This will be the largest amount available yet!!! Many thanks to all of the donors, it is beginning to make a big difference!

This year, the NSF had to eliminate the DDIG program This was a sad loss. Everyone recognizes the importance of the program, and the benefits of funding independent research. If we can make a significant change in the amount being put into the endowment, we can begin to offer more significant awards that will, just maybe, begin to fill the gap left by the loss of the DDIG. Of course, we need a more significant endowment. I have always talked about a $100,000 goal. How about a $1,000,000 goal. Far-fetched? Maybe not.

 As we come to a close of the 2017 tax year, I hope that you would consider making a donation to the endowment. Please contribute, and contribute often J.

 Sincerely,

John Heraty

Endowment Organizer

Donate online:

http://www.entsoc.org/syseb/syseb-student-research-endowment

http://www.entsoc.org/syseb/donate-syseb-section  (donate here)

 or, please mail your tax deductible check donations to:

Entomological Society of America

SysEB Section Graduate Student Endowment

3 Park Place, Suite 307

Annapolis, MD, 21401-3722, USA

Please add:  "SysEB Graduate Student Endowment" to the note field on the check and indicate if you would like a receipt.