I was an Adobe subscription-plan early adopter...of course after I laid out
a significant piece for a full CS5 license only a year before. I ranted and
groused as much as anyone at first, but to be honest, I feel my $50/month
is well-spent. Full access to the latest versions of the entire product
line is exhilarating. I love the current PS camera raw interface (with my
nikon), you can set it up as a smart filter in a PSD and tune/mask/retouch
as needed. There are lots of bells and whistles--cloud storage, tutorials,
fonts, etc. etc--that are useful. I also went with the Microsoft
subscription plan ($100/year) and it's been fantastic.

Is there an obvious reason I'm missing (as a one-man-band freelance shop)
to buy a license outright these days? What are you really "buying"? Thanks!
Molly