I tried it, too, but it won't produce DNGs.  Why use sidecars if you don't need to?  So I stopped there.  Also, many have complained about the oatmeal that arises when raising shadow levels.

I shoot Fuji and Sony alpha.  The full-frame Sony I have is old enough that the ACR in CS6 will convert the images.  For Fuji, there's a raw converter called Iridient that converts X-Tran sensors very nicely.  I'd like to try Capture One, but I don't need a whole new system.  I have a good system in Photoshop.  I just need a good raw converter.  LR6 will work for a few years, but who knows how long?

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 5:31 PM, Britt Griswold <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I tried Affinity, but I had problem wrapping my head around their implementation for some common Photoshop concepts, like masking.

Britt

On 11/16/17 5:17 PM, Will Smith wrote:

Has anyone tried Affinity Photo.  I have been looking for Photoshop alternatives as I am a buyer by nature, not a renter.

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]EDU] On Behalf Of Bruce Bartrug
Sent: Friday, 17 November 2017 7:34 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Purchasing Photoshop Single License?

Thanks, Geoff.  I've heard a lot about Capture One, but I'm just looking for a raw converter for Fuji RAFs.  I like the processing in CS6, just need something other than LR to convert the raw images.  I also wonder if Capture One will go to a subscription scheme one day soon, as they are already offering a $149/year service.  Presumably that gives updates without the bother of paying extra for them, which might be a cost saving, but I still wonder.  I guess I should try it for a month, but I've yet to run through the other software converters, many of which have some shortcomings (in my humble opinion) the chief among those not converting to DNGs, thereby requiring one maintain sidecar files.  But I'll check it out soon.  Thanks again.

Bruce Bartrug
Nobleboro, Maine, USA
www.brucebartrug.com