I was an Adobe subscription-plan early adopter...of course after I laid out a significant piece for a full CS5 license only a year before. I ranted and groused as much as anyone at first, but to be honest, I feel my $50/month is well-spent. Full access to the latest versions of the entire product line is exhilarating. I love the current PS camera raw interface (with my nikon), you can set it up as a smart filter in a PSD and tune/mask/retouch as needed. There are lots of bells and whistles--cloud storage, tutorials, fonts, etc. etc--that are useful. I also went with the Microsoft subscription plan ($100/year) and it's been fantastic.

Is there an obvious reason I'm missing (as a one-man-band freelance shop) to buy a license outright these days? What are you really "buying"? Thanks! Molly

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 5:31 PM, Britt Griswold <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I tried Affinity, but I had problem wrapping my head around their implementation for some common Photoshop concepts, like masking.

Britt

On 11/16/17 5:17 PM, Will Smith wrote:

Has anyone tried Affinity Photo.  I have been looking for Photoshop alternatives as I am a buyer by nature, not a renter.

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]EDU] On Behalf Of Bruce Bartrug
Sent: Friday, 17 November 2017 7:34 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] Purchasing Photoshop Single License?

Thanks, Geoff.  I've heard a lot about Capture One, but I'm just looking for a raw converter for Fuji RAFs.  I like the processing in CS6, just need something other than LR to convert the raw images.  I also wonder if Capture One will go to a subscription scheme one day soon, as they are already offering a $149/year service.  Presumably that gives updates without the bother of paying extra for them, which might be a cost saving, but I still wonder.  I guess I should try it for a month, but I've yet to run through the other software converters, many of which have some shortcomings (in my humble opinion) the chief among those not converting to DNGs, thereby requiring one maintain sidecar files.  But I'll check it out soon.  Thanks again.