Yes Molly, you're right: purchasing some of the programs outright was wildly expensive, so I can see that the subscription model works better for some users. I'm flashing onto Quark as I write this and remember how financially stunned I was when I first purchased that oh so many years ago. I haven't used it in forever, so don't need to worry about that program anymore. Hmmm. . . let's see. . . it's still available: for a tidy sum of $849 for an original purchase (there's a $399 "competitive upgrade" price if you qualify). I do have to smile at Quark's promo: "Escape the Cloud - Boost Your Productivity!". (Plus: get pdfToolbox, a $590 value FREE) :) http://content.quark.com/pdftoolbox-bundle-us.html

Lynette