Floyd's suggestion sounds more exciting, but here's another that I use on
Orthoptera specimens with great success: buy a very cheap electric water
boiler (often used for tea) with a wide mouth, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-32oz-Hot-pot/dp/B004YTW58S/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1511973780&sr=1-4&keywords=electric+water+boiler

and then simply hold the specimen over the mouth once the water is boiling
to loosen the specimen or give it a quick dip (too long and coloration
alteration may occur). Then, I just hold the pin in one hand and use
forceps in the other to slide the specimen off. Granted, I have not tried
this methodology with non-orthopterans, but I don't see why it wouldn't
work for other taxa. I also hear a drop of ammonia around the pin might
work, but I have not tested that method since this one works just fine for
me.

Good luck!

*Derek A. Woller, **Ph.D.*

*Entomologist, *Rangeland Grasshopper and Mormon Cricket Management Team,

USDA: APHIS, PPQ, S&T, CPHST Phoenix Lab
3645 East Wier Ave., Phoenix, AZ, 85040
Office: 602-431-3246
Cell: 480-490-6454
Fax: 602-431-3258

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/ppq-program-overview/cphst/ct_dspmsl

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant-health/grasshopper

Proud to be an explorer of the final biological frontier: entomology.