Good question, Barry. I have not yet attempted to extract DNA from any of
the specimens I remove from pins in this manner. However, I still think
it's worth a shot, especially if just using the steam method to loosen the
specimen from the pin, which should be less intrusive. Another idea might
be to take a syringe full of boiling water and apply it locally and
sparingly around the pin. This should loosen the specimen while maximizing
DNA preservation.

*Derek A. Woller, **Ph.D.*

*Entomologist, *Rangeland Grasshopper and Mormon Cricket Management Team,

USDA: APHIS, PPQ, S&T, CPHST Phoenix Lab
3645 East Wier Ave., Phoenix, AZ, 85040
Office: 602-431-3246
Cell: 480-490-6454
Fax: 602-431-3258

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/ppq-program-overview/cphst/ct_dspmsl

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant-health/grasshopper

Proud to be an explorer of the final biological frontier: entomology.