To the right worshipful gentles who wouldst be attending the Barony of
Lonely Tower's 12th Night and Baronial Investiture to be held on 6
January A.S. LII (being 2018 in the common accounting), I Lord Miklos
Farma greet you well.

I pray that you would consider undertaking a contest which is being held
at the 12th Night event, for which a prize shall be offered. I would ask
each of you to take pen to paper, and write a letter in a style which is
appropriate and fitting for the periods which our good Society
encompasses, namely the periods which span from 450AD to 1603 AD. In
plain English, the letter you write should be written in as
Medieval/Renaissance a style as you can. As an example of what one would
seek to avoid, might I simply say that "OMG" and "automobile" are both
most non-period things to place upon the page of a medieval letter.

The letter will be one of congratulations, or one of request, or perhaps
an order to a merchant, or instructions to someone, or a love letter, or
indeed any type of letter that you wish. Further, the letter shall be to
anyone which you yourself, the gentle who writes the letter, wishes it
to be addressed to.

This next is MOST IMPORTANT. Period handwriting is *NOT* required, as
this is not a contest to see who can do the prettiest calligraphy.

If you seek to know how a medieval/renaissance letter was writ, I would
refer you to these sources which can all be found web:

1. The Principles of Letter Writing (translated by James Murphy)
http://medieval.ucdavis.edu/20B/Ars.Dictandi.html

2. Medieval Letter-writing (class notes by Aelflaed of the Weald (India
Ollerenshaw), 2000.
http://aelflaed.homemail.com.au/doco/letters.html

3. Writing a Medieval Letter, By THLaird Colyne Stewart (2014)
http://athenaeumhectoris.blogspot.com/2014/06/writing-medieval-letter.html

4. Medieval Missives: Aids to Letter-Writing, by Caryl de Trecesson
http://www.dragonbear.com/letters.html

If you wish to undertake the contest, simply come to the contest table
at 12th Night. It shall be located near Herald's Point. There you shall
be given paper (of about 4 inches by 6 inches) and something to write
with for the contest.

Should you wish to bring notes of what your letter would say, feel free
to do so, but know that the letters shall be written on site for the
contest.

If one has questions, feel free to contact me at
[log in to unmask] , or at 12th Night where I shall often be
found sitting at the contest table.

Know good gentles one and all, that I am but your humble servant in this
challenge, and do pray that you shall join in the contest and write a
most goodly letter to "Dear Leonardo" !!
Written upon Christmas Day in the Barony of Lonely Tower, by my own
hand, Lord Miklos Farma