To the right worshipful gentles who wouldst be attending the Barony of Lonely Tower's 12th Night and Baronial Investiture to be held on 6 January A.S. LII (being 2018 in the common accounting), I Lord Miklos Farma greet you well.

I pray that you would consider undertaking a contest which is being held at the 12th Night event, for which a prize shall be offered. I would ask each of you to take pen to paper, and write a letter in a style which is appropriate and fitting for the periods which our good Society encompasses, namely the periods which span from 450AD to 1603 AD. In plain English, the letter you write should be written in as Medieval/Renaissance a style as you can. As an example of what one would seek to avoid, might I simply say that "OMG" and "automobile" are both most non-period things to place upon the page of a medieval letter.

The letter will be one of congratulations, or one of request, or perhaps an order to a merchant, or instructions to someone, or a love letter, or indeed any type of letter that you wish. Further, the letter shall be to anyone which you yourself, the gentle who writes the letter, wishes it to be addressed to.

This next is MOST IMPORTANT. Period handwriting is *NOT* required, as this is not a contest to see who can do the prettiest calligraphy.

If you seek to know how a medieval/renaissance letter was writ, I would refer you to these sources which can all be found web:

1. The Principles of Letter Writing (translated by James Murphy)
http://medieval.ucdavis.edu/20B/Ars.Dictandi.html

2. Medieval Letter-writing (class notes by Aelflaed of the Weald (India Ollerenshaw), 2000.

http://aelflaed.homemail.com.au/doco/letters.html

3. Writing a Medieval Letter, By THLaird Colyne Stewart (2014)
http://athenaeumhectoris.blogspot.com/2014/06/writing-medieval-letter.html

4. Medieval Missives: Aids to Letter-Writing, by Caryl de Trecesson
http://www.dragonbear.com/letters.html

If you wish to undertake the contest, simply come to the contest table at 12th Night. It shall be located near Herald's Point. There you shall be given paper (of about 4 inches by 6 inches) and something to write with for the contest.

Should you wish to bring notes of what your letter would say, feel free to do so, but know that the letters shall be written on site for the contest.

If one has questions, feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask] , or at 12th Night where I shall often be found sitting at the contest table.

Know good gentles one and all, that I am but your humble servant in this challenge, and do pray that you shall join in the contest and write a most goodly letter to "Dear Leonardo" !!
Written upon Christmas Day in the Barony of Lonely Tower, by my own hand, Lord Miklos Farma