Hey, Calontir, let's talk about something that's NOT LILIES! I am in the process of re-doing the A&S Handbook and I'm adding a Note to Judges in the Competitions section. Since a lot of folks who may volunteer as judges may not ever read it there, I thought it would be good to just go ahead and publish it out here and on FaceBook:

Judges for all events are reminded that the goal is to help the artisan entrant progress in the art, science, or craft, which includes preserving a positive attitude and a sense of self-esteem about themselves and their work. Intimidating or belittling people who are not up to your own standard defeats the entire purpose of our efforts to promote the arts and sciences. TACT is all-important, if you as a judge see flaws, your feedback to the entrant should not be about how the finished piece (Or work in progress) has come up short and wouldn’t fool a blind beggar ca. 1085, but instead should focus on methods and techniques to overcome problems in the making, especially based on your OWN previous mistakes and learning process to get past them. You most especially should share that you did make such mistakes, and learned from them! Focus on suggestions on research and sources for both the subject of the entry and the necessary techniques to make it, of the sort that you, yourself, would find helpful if the positions of judge and entrant were reversed. I cannot overstress how damaging it is to our endeavor, no matter how technically correct your evaluation may have been, if the entrant leaves the session discouraged, insulted, and ready to quit. There are, very rarely, unreasonable entrant expectations or unusually sensitive egos, but they are rare and not the thrust of this note. Be fair. Be kind. Be helpful and mentoring.

YIS, Paul Adler, KMOAS